Dr. Daryl Cornett
It has been an honor to serve as pastor at First Baptist Hazard for over nine years. My commitment from day one has been to lead the congregation God has entrusted to me by the sound teaching of the Bible. My goal in preaching is to take God's Word as the meat and then serve it up to you in an understandable way that touches your real life experience so that it satisfies a soul hungry for God's truth.
First Baptist is a church on the move, continually learning together what it means to follow Christ and proclaim Him in our community and share in taking Him to the world. You can listen to a few of my more recent sermons on the "Sermons" page.
On this page you can learn a few personal things about me, see titles of books I have read lately, and be linked to my blog, where I post an article about once per month. I hope this helps you get to know me a little better. Feel free to send me a personal message in the "Contact Us" in the sidebar.
- I was born in Hazard, but grew up in Lexington, KY
- Before coming back to KY in 2008 I lived in the Memphis, TN area and taught seminary at Mid-America Baptist Theological Seminary in the area of church history.
- I've been in minintry for 30 years in a variety of roles - student ministry, discipleship, teaching, and pastoring
- I have been a United States Air Force Reserve chaplain since 2004. Currently I am attached to the 4th Fighter Wing at Seymour Johnson AFB in Goldsboro, NC
- I've been married to Cindy, my high school sweetheart, for 30 years - we have two children, Justin who is a college student at the University of Kentucky, and Libby who is in middle school - 7 years difference between them!
- My passion as a pastor is preaching and teaching God's Word so that people truly get God's message in a way that connects with them at their deepest need.
- My desire is for church to be a healthy body of believers who love God the most, love each other, and care deeply about the lost and unchurched while growing in Christ themselves.
- I love to read books on ministry and history - espeically history from America's revolutionary period.
- In so many ways my ministry and family are my only big interests, but personally I do enjoy running (I've done a couple of marathons...but not lately) and watching movies. I am particularly fond of scifi and action.
Here are some recent books I've read.
- The 4 Disciplines of Execution, Chris McChesney, Sean Covey, and Jim Huling
- One Piece of Paper: The Simple Approach to Powerful, Personal Leadership, Mike Figliuolo
- Progress in the Pulpit, Jim Shaddix & Jerry Vines
- Primal Leadership: Unleashing the Power of Emotional Intelligence - Daniel Goleman, Richard Boyatzis & Mannie McKee
- Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action - Simon Sinek
- The Legacy of Luther - Eds., R.C. Sproul & Stephen Nichols
- Reaching rhe Summit: Avoiding and Reversing Decline in the Church - George Yates
- What Every Pastor Should Know - Gary McIntosh & Charles Arn
- The Five Dysfunctions of a Team - Patrick Lencioni
- 12 Essential Skills of Great Preaching - Wayne McDill
- Helping without Huring in Church Benevolence - Steve Corbett & Brian Fkkert
- Toxic Charity - Robert Lupton
- Praying the Bible - Donald Whitney
- The Gospel Focus of Charles Spurgeon - Steven Lawson
- Worship Matters - Bob Kauflin
- Loving My LGBT Neighbor - Glenn T. Stanton
- C.S. Lewis: A Life - Alister McGrath
- Pastoral Ministry: How to Shepherd Biblically, John MacArthur et.al.
- Was Ameria Founded a Christian Nation? John Fea
You can take a look at my blog "A Pastor's Progress" and follow it if you like.